Mental Health Counselor Cover Letter
Mental Health Counselors provide guidance and advice to individuals and groups to promote mental health and emotional well-being. Types of issues their clients deal with include substance abuse, marital problems, aging, stress management, and poor self-esteem. Specific work activities of a Mental Health Counselor are: helping clients express their feelings, identifying personal issues, collecting information about clients, preventing suicide, maintaining treatment records, providing clients with solutions for dealing with their problems, monitoring client progress, and modifying treatment plans based on client feedback and changes in their status.
Essential skills and qualifications presented in a cover letter for Mental Health Counselor include:
- Counseling expertise and state license
- Empathy and a caring personality
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Stamina and a good level of energy
- Patience and perseverance
- Computer literacy
- Good listening skills
- An analytical approach
Beneath is provided a Mental Health Counselor cover letter example mentioning relevant skills and experience.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Mental Health Counselor Resume Samples.
Dear Ms. Barnard:
When I learned of your search to add a new Mental Health Counselor to your clinical team, I felt compelled to submit my credentials for your consideration. With my proven experience assisting clients in overcoming both short- and long-term mental and emotional issues / disorders, I feel confident that I would significantly benefit your team.
From defining patient goals and conducting initial assessments to building trusting relationships and deftly managing administrative tasks, my extensive experience in therapeutic counseling has prepared me to make a strong contribution in this position. With expertise in supporting adults experiencing challenges such as addiction, mental illness, and psychosocial stressors, my additional strengths in communication and organization position me to thrive in this role.
Highlights of my background include:
- Providing individual, group, and milieu therapy for adults suffering from severe and chronic mental illness, substance use disorders, and co-morbid disorders during 13-year career as a counselor with the Jackson Street Outpatient Clinic in Chicago.
- Administering psychological assessments, designing individualized treatment plans, and leading interventions when necessary in collaboration with family members and staff.
- Addressing a breadth of service and resource needs by identifying and securing resources across the community, utilizing my extensive network of professional contacts.
- Producing documentation for counseling sessions, treatment plans, and utilization reviews while ensuring steadfast compliance with all safety and confidentiality regulations.
- Holding dual Master’s degrees in Clinical Psychology and Sociology from the University of Illinois, obtained in 2007.
With my comprehensive experience in mental health counseling and treatment, coupled with my unwavering dedication to helping those in need overcome challenges in their personal lives, I will swiftly surpass your expectations for this role.
I look forward to discussing the position in further detail; thank you for your consideration.
Mari R. Hong
Counselor Cover Letters
As a counselor resume cover letter is one of the main documents that can get you your dream job, this letter has to be short, precise and appropriate to the job profile advertisement, posted by the employer. It should make you stand as an eligible candidate for the job post. Also, it should motivate your future employer to open your resume after reading the cover letter.
Given below are a few do's and don'ts that you should keep in mind before writing the cover letter. These points will help you draft an appropriate counselor resume cover letter that would impress your future employer.
Do's for Counselor Resume Cover Letters
- Mention the source from where you came to know about the job posting, like newspaper, job portal, etc.
- Mention the main credential that makes you an eligible candidate for the job profile. These credentials should fulfill the eligibility criteria posted in the advertisement Mention your current designation and the main things you handle in your current profile/company.
- Mention that you have attached your resume along with the cover letter, so that the employer can have a look at it as well.
- Read the cover letter once before finalizing it. Check for grammatical errors and spelling mistakes and then post it. Don'ts for a Counselor Resume Cover Letter
- Do not mention all your key skills, educational qualifications and work history, as this is already mentioned in your resume.
- Do not mention your salary requirements, as this will make the employer think that you are more interested in the salary than the job.
- Do not mention your contact details, these are mentioned in your resume as well.
- Do not exceed the length of the cover letter to more than one page. A long cover letter might make your profile boring for the employer.
- Do not write flowery language or construct long and complex sentences that can confuse the reader and create disinterest in your profile.
You can also have a look at a few tips on how to write counselor resume cover letter and some counselor resume cover letter examples here. These tips and examples are sure to help you in writing a perfect cover letter that can impress your future employer.
Checkout our sample counselor resume cover letters below: